There are TWO WAYS to GET YOUR DOG TO LOSE WEIGHT
DIET #1 Change the amount of calories, which does not work well with dogs.
DIET #2 Change the quality of the calories, which is the most effective way to restore your dogs ideal weight - and just as importantly, maintain it.
DOGS and PEOPLE are BOTH CLASSIFIED as OMNIVORES
As an example easier to identify with, let’s compare two diets for a theoretical 18 year old child who wants to lose weight and is eating 2,000 calories a day.
Diet #1 = 1500 calories of high-glycemic carbs, potatoes, bread, donuts, pasta, sugary cold cereal, candy, and sodas.
Diet #2 = 1,500 calories of lean meat, eggs, high fiber peas and vegetables, low glycemic carbohydrates (plus probiotics, digestive enzymes, and a balanced highly absorbable multi-vitamin).
WEIGHT LOSS THEORY BASED ON CALORIES basically considers these two DIETS AS THE SAME.
Every mother knows that these two diets are not even close to the same and they cannot be compared simply on a calorie basis, when trying to lose weight, especially if you want to maintain it after the diet.
DRAWBACKS TO DIET #1
- Diet #1 is full of high glycemic carbs that trigger insulin and tell the body to store excess sugar as fat in muscle tissue.
- Causes a "sugar high" then a crash as insulin lowers blood sugar and hunger returns
- Eating high-glycemic carbs causes a desire for more carbs.
- Provides "empty" carbs for quick sugar boost but no long term evenly balanced, source of energy or nutrition.
- Eventually can lead to a diabetic condition as insulin resistance develops.
- Increases body fat which lowers the metabolism and encourages weight gain.
- Not sustainable for the long term. After the diet weight will usually return.
- Will result in the person feeling hungry all the time which leads to cheating on the diet
- Does not provide a sustained, even source of energy.
ADVANTAGES TO DIET #2
- Diet #2 provides healthy, balanced nutrition that does not cause an insulin spike.
- Reduces the desire for high glycemic carbs.
- Creates even, consistent blood sugar levels.
- Does not contribute to Insulin resistance or diabetes
- Is highly nutritious even at reduced amounts.
- Is easily sustainable for the long term.
- Will satisfy hunger and not create urge for high glycemic carbs.
- Produces a healthy, balanced energy that is reflected in the persons personality.
Brothers is designed to be a nutritionally dense, high protein, low glycemic, extremely well balanced food with prebiotics, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and highly available, supplemental vitamins to replace those lost in cooking so it maintains the ideal weight of your dog naturally.
If your dog is overweight you need only reduce the amount fed for a few weeks until the dog achieves its ideal weight then increase just enough to stabilize at the desired weight.
Brothers is designed to be perfectly balanced nutritionally and sustain a healthy balanced microbiome which is the colony of ninety trillion bacteria in the gut that maintains and determines the overall health of the animal.
This is even more important with dog food since the dog is eating the same or similar diet every meal, every day, and any imbalances will have a tendency to be magnified.
We designed Brothers to maintain ideal weight naturally with perfectly balanced, highly nutritious food.
Brothers has received Dog Food Advisor 2020 /2021 Editor's Choice award for Top Weight Loss Dog Foods.
Written by Richard Darlington, CEO
Brothers Dog Food, LLC
Amended July 5, 2023
Dog Food Advisor
Are High Protein diets good for overweight dogs?
Dog Food Advisor
Best Dog Foods for Weight Loss
Dog Food Advisor
Best Dog Foods for Allergy