You have no items in your shopping cart.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPAL
Our intention is to create the highest good for all involved, our customers, our family, and every dog that we feed.
At Brothers our dogs are family members. We are committed to the welfare of this noble species that give unconditional love to the humans who care for them. We are dedicated to creating the most healing, nourishing, health promoting kibble dog food possible - a food worthy of the trust that is placed in us.
Many dogs that eat conventional dog food usually develop some of the following symptoms:
The industry standard for feeding trials is designed by AAFCO and it is shocking to realize just how little the AAFCO feeding trial actually tells you - which AAFCO itself acknowledges in the small print as follows: AAFCO's mission statement declares that these feeding trials were NOT designed to “examine nutritional relationships to long-term health or disease prevention” but only to ensure that the food was not “harmful to the animal and would support the proposed life stage for 26 weeks”.
The AAFCO feeding trial is 6 months (26 weeks) long and only requires you to supply 8 dogs of your own choosing. You can remove 2 of the 8 dogs from the test, at any time, without explanation and without the need to replace them. At the end of the test as long as the 6 remaining dogs are alive, and have not lost more than 15% of their weight - your food ‘passes’ the test and is declared “complete and balanced”.
Brothers used elimination diets on hundreds of dogs for periods of up to 3 years and WERE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to examine nutritional relationships to long term health and disease prevention.
To our knowledge the scope and focus of our research project on dog food - given the sheer number of dogs involved and the extended periods of time involved - has never been equalled.
To assist us in creating Brothers Complete, we sought the wisdom and experience of a Ph.D. Animal Nutritionist with over 35 years experience.
When we asked our Ph.D Animal Nutritionist to help us design the absolute healthiest kibble possible, he replied that in over 35 years in the pet food industry he had worked for almost every major dog food manufacturer at one time or another and not one of them had ever asked him how to make a dog food better - much less make it the best it could be. They would always give him a formula and tell him to find a way to make it cheaper.
1) Dogs are designed to convert fat into glucose which the body uses for energy - (a process called Gluconeogenesis). Humans are built to convert starches and carbohydrates into glucose for energy. If dogs are continually fed high glycemic starches like grain, potato, and sweet potato their Pancreas must work a lot harder than it was designed to because it must constantly produce high levels of insulin to bring the abnormally high blood sugar levels back down where they belong. Repeated overexposure to insulin increases resistance to insulin, which eventually leads to Diabetes. Thus the unusually high levels of Pancreatitis and Diabetes in dogs these days. Repeated exposure to excess insulin, by itself, is harmful to dogs.
2) People are omnivores while dogs are primarily carnivores. The Nuclear DNA of a 25,000 year old gray wolf can be manipulated to transform the look, size, and personality of the wolf into a Beagle or a Golden Retriever.
The Mitochondrial DNA, which determines the cellular functioning and energy systems in the body, is still 99.8% identical to a 25,000 year old gray wolf. It determines what your dog should eat and it has basically remained constant over 25,000 years.
In other words your dog is primarily a carnivore - it is designed to eat meat - not grain, potato, or sweet potato.
Omnivores have jaws designed to grind from side to side to crush their food. Carnivores jaws do not go from side to side and cannot grind their food. Their jaws only open and close and are designed to rip off a chunk of meat and swallow it without much chewing. Dogs have mouths designed to eat meat and they have no dietary or nutritional need for carbohydrates.
3) People produce the enzyme (Amylase) in their mouths – dogs do not. An enzyme called Amylase is necessary to break down grain, potato, and other carbohydrates and people secrete this enzyme in their mouths to begin the digestion process of carbohydrates - dogs do not. Dogs are not designed to eat carbohydrates as people are.
4) People have small stomachs that do not vary much in size. People are designed to eat small, frequent meals. People need a steady supply of starches and carbohydrates to provide them with glucose for energy and cellular functioning. They need to eat regularly throughout the day.
5) Dogs have stomachs that are like accordions and can expand enough to eat up to 8% of their body weight in raw meat at one meal. Dogs are designed to be able to eat one big meal of meat and fat and then function well for as long as a week or two on water alone because their body is designed to convert fat to glucose to provide them with a steady source of energy. This ability to produce glucose from fat enables them to hunt successively even if they haven’t eaten for a period of time because there are no guaranteed meals in the wild. Their ability to easily convert fat to glucose is called Gluconeogenesis. This is why dogs have done quite well for eons without grain, potato, or carbohydrates. Unlike humans, dogs are designed to get their energy supply from fat supplies, they do not need starches.
The number of bacteria in the colon is about 10 times the number of cells in the entire rest of the body. About 10 Trillion cells make up the body. In a healthy colon there are about 100 Trillion bacteria.
The foundation of health in a mammal is the gut - a healthy gut equals a healthy animal.
The HUGE number of beneficial bacteria in the colon suggests that a correspondingly high level of importance be assigned to their purpose there which is to maintain the integrity of a healthy, functioning system. The massive colony of beneficial bacteria in the gut is not only 10 times the number of cells that make up the rest of the body but they are crucial components of a healthy system.
A) Most of the Immune System (70% to 80%) is generated in the gut wall so if the health of the gut is compromised the ability of the body to defend itself is compromised as well.
B) The gut wall is lined with hairs (Cilia) that effectively increase its surface area from 2 sq. ft. to about 1,200 sq. ft. If the cilia are not kept clean and functional then the ability of the body to absorb necessary nutrients from the food it eats becomes limited.
C) The Cilia also plays a part in returning excess water in the fecal matter to the body. If they are compromised then loose stool or diarrhea is usually the result.
Leaky Gut occurs when gaps form between the joints of the cells that line the inside of the gut. The gut lining is made up of cells called Enterocytes that are only one cell thick. This can be caused by a diet that contains grain, potato, sweet potato, sugar, or Anti-Biotics. Gaps that develop allow fecal matter, including Candida Albicans fungus, to leak through the gut wall into the blood stream.
When Candida Albicans leaks into the blood stream the condition is called Systemic Candida because the fungal form of Candida is in the blood stream and spreads throughout the entire system.
Grain, potato, and sweet potato are a form of sugar that feeds the Candida Fungus and helps it get stronger and do more damage to the system
Brothers is designed to heal Leaky Gut over a period of 3 to 6 months and prevent it from recurring in the future by eliminating the grain, potato, sweet potato, and other ingredients that cause the problem in the first place.
By adding Digestive Enzymes, long chain PreBiotics, and Unique Encapsulated ProBiotics that deliver a thousand times more active cultures to the gut than normal probiotics, Brothers helps the gut heal and restore itself to full healthy functioning.