OUR GUIDING PRINCIPAL
The intention we bring to all that we do is to create the highest good for all involved, our customers, our family, and every dog that we feed.
At Brothers our dogs are family members. We are committed to the welfare of this noble species that so willingly give unconditional love to the humans who care for them. We are dedicated to creating the most healing, nourishing, health promoting kibble dog food possible - a food worthy of the trust our dog parents and their dogs place in us.
Brothers Complete is:
White Potato Free
Sweet Potato Free
Artificial Coloring Free
Artificial Flavoring Free
Chemical Preservative Free
(BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin FREE)
We Design extra goodness into
Brothers that starts with:
MADE IN THE USA
For All Life Stages
Free Range Protein
Human Grade Protein
Over 90% of the Protein is Animal Sourced Protein
Commercial Dog Foods Were Not Good Enough
Since 2006 our family has owned and operated a dog food store in Florida. We carried the healthiest dog foods available, educated our customers in nutrition, and encouraged them to provide their pets with the best dog food available; but despite our best efforts the constant problems continued. We saw the same problems over and over again in far too many dogs.
Our customers shared with us what the Veterinarians, dog food manufacturers, and other dog food retailers had suggested were the probable causes of their dogs problems. They also shared the solutions that were recommended, and tried, but the problems remained or soon returned. The suggested solutions usually didn't fix the problems.
Many of the dogs we saw over the years had, or eventually developed, some of the following symptoms:
- Constant itching and scratching
- Licking or gnawing of the feet
- Biting areas of the body
- Rashes on the belly or thighs
- Bumps or fatty lumps
- Ear infections, yeasty ears
- Hot spots
- Food Allergies
- Hives or rashes
- Dull, thin, or brittle fur
- Allergic reactions to food
- Sensitive stomach or throwing up
- Itching, red, or irritated eyes
- Recurring diarrhea
- Excessive shedding
- Joint pain
- Bad odor or bad breath
- Dull, cloudy eyes
- Overweight problems
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- After years selling the best dog foods available and seeing the results in the dogs that ate them and
- After years of personal experience with, and research into, the dog food industry and
- After thousands of hours and years of research into nutrition as it related specifically to dogs and
- After feeding trials and elimination diets on hundreds of dogs for periods of time of up to 3 years on the effects of eliminating grain, potato, and sugar from their diet...
We came to the inescapable conclusion that
the majority of problems we were seeing in dogs
were caused by the food they were eating.
Industry Feeding Trials versus Brothers Real Life Experience
The industry standard for feeding trials is designed by AAFCO and it is revealing when you realize just how little the AAFCO feeding trial actually tells you - which AAFCO itself acknowledges in the small print (if you can find it) as follows: AAFCO's mission statement declares that these feeding trials were NOT designed to “examine nutritional relationships to long-term health or disease prevention” but only to ensure that the food was not “harmful to the animal and would support the proposed life stage for 26 weeks”.
The AAFCO feeding trial is 6 months (26 weeks) long and only requires you to supply 8 dogs of your own choosing. You can remove 2 of the 8 dogs from the test, at any time, without explanation and without the need to replace them. At the end of the test as long as the 6 remaining dogs are alive, and have not lost more than 15% of their weight - your food ‘passes’ the test and is declared “complete and balanced”.
On the other hand, our "unofficial" feeding trials used elimination diets on over a thousand dogs for periods of up to 3 years and WERE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to examine nutritional relationships to long term health and disease prevention.
To our knowledge the scope and focus of our research project on dog food - given the sheer number of dogs involved and the extended periods of time involved - has never been equalled.
Knowledge, Experience, and Reality Combine
To assist us in creating Brothers Complete, we sought the help and guidance of a Ph.D. Animal Nutritionist who had over 35 years experience designing dog food - as well as having overseen numerous clinical research projects on the effects of diet on the health of dogs.
When we asked this Ph.D Animal Nutritionist to help us design the absolute healthiest kibble possible, he replied that in over 35 years in the pet food industry he had worked for almost every major dog food manufacturer at one time or another and not one of them had ever asked him how to make a dog food better - much less make it the best it could be. They would always give him a formula and tell him to find a way to make it cheaper.
The nutritional knowledge and philosophy that is incorporated into Brothers is based on input from Ph.D animal nutritionists, years of research, and a substantial body of rare, highly valuable, empirical knowledge (defined as: verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic) that we gathered from years of elimination diets involving over a thousand dogs in real life for substantial periods of time.
OUR DOG FOOD
The Knowledge Base We Used To Create An Exceptional Dog Food
Dogs are Different Than Humans
Gut Health is Critically Important
100 Trillion Bacteria Can't Be Ignored
Leaky Gut is Very Real
Candida & Systemic Candida
Ingredients That Heal
The Raw Diet
Dogs Are Different Than Humans
1) Dogs are designed to convert fat into glucose which the body uses for energy - (a process called Gluconeogenesis). Humans are built to convert starches and carbohydrates into glucose for energy. If dogs are continually fed high glycemic starches like grain and potato their Pancreas must work a lot harder than it was designed to because it must constantly produce high levels of insulin to bring the abnormally high blood sugar levels back down where they belong. Repeated overexposure to insulin increases resistance to insulin, which eventually leads to Diabetes. Thus the unusually high levels of Pancreatitis and Diabetes in dogs these days. Repeated exposure to excess insulin, by itself, is harmful to dogs.
2) People are omnivores while dogs are primarily carnivores. Wolves have a history of being carnivores that goes back millions of years and our cute domestic dogs are descended from the Gray Wolf. The Mitochondrial DNA of the domestic dog is 99.8 % identical to the DNA of a 5 million year old Gray Wolf. Mitochondrial DNA is what determines the cellular functioning and energy transfer in the body, which is what we’re talking about here. Nuclear DNA is different and is manipulated through breeding to produce different body types, personalities, and behavior.
Omnivores have jaws designed to grind from side to side to crush their food. Carnivores jaws do not go from side to side and cannot grind their food. Their jaws only open and close and are designed to rip off a chunk of meat and swallow it without much chewing. Dogs have mouths designed to eat meat and they have no dietary or nutritional need for carbohydrates.
3) People produce the enzyme (Amylase) in their mouths – dogs do not. An enzyme called Amylase is necessary to break down grain and potato and while people have this enzyme in their mouth to begin the digestion process - dogs do not. Dogs were not designed to eat carbohydrates as people were.
4) People have small stomachs that do not vary much in size. People are designed to eat small, frequent meals. People need a steady supply of starches and carbohydrates to provide them with glucose for energy and cellular functioning. They need to eat regularly thought the day.
throughout ty rvg
5) Dogs have stomachs that are like accordions and can expand enough to eat up to 8% of their body weight in raw meat at one meal. Dogs are designed to be able to eat one big meal of meat and fat and then function well for as long as a week or two on water alone because their body is designed to convert fat to glucose to provide them with a steady source of energy. This ability to produce glucose from fat enables them to hunt successively even if they haven’t eaten for a period of time because there are no guaranteed meals in the wild. Their ability to easily convert fat to glucose is called Gluconeogenesis. This is why dogs have done quite well for eons without grain or potato. Unlike humans, dogs are designed to extract their energy supply from fat supplies, not starches.
6) Differences in their digestive systems. People have digestive enzymes in their mouths, stomach and their very long small intestines and the process of food digestion is divided between these three. Dogs have no enzymes in their mouths and have very short small intestines as the vast majority of digestion in a dog is designed to take place in the stomach. The primary job of the small intestine in the dog is to absorb the result of the stomachs work.
Gut Health is Critically Important
The Gut is the CORE OF THE ORGANISM and is the primary basis for creating health or disease.
A) Most of the Immune System (70% to 80%) is generated in the gut wall so if the health of the gut is compromised the ability of the body to defend itself is compromised as well.
B) The gut wall is lined with hairs (Cilia) that effectively increase its surface area from 2 sq. ft. to about 1,200 sq. ft. If the cilia are not kept clean and functional then the ability of the body to absorb necessary nutrients from the food it eats becomes limited.
C) The Cilia also plays a part in returning excess water in the fecal matter to the body. If they are compromised then loose stool or diarrhea is usually the result.
D) The fecal matter in the colon is separated from the rest of the body by a layer of cells that is only one cell thick which line the inside wall of the intestines. These cells, called Enterocytes, are roughly square and butt together like little blocks. If the joints between them separate or are compromised and penetrated, then a condition known as “Leaky Gut” is created which allows fecal matter in the colon to leak through the gut wall and get into the blood stream. This condition is quite common in dogs that have been eating grain or potato.